Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  11:29:55  Show Profile  Visit tradeGCUK's Homepage

Gen Con UK 2007 - Information on attendance

Total attendance: 1,746
Attendance on Thursday: 984
Attendance on Friday: 1,181
Attendance on Saturday: 1,580
Attendance on Sunday: 1,292
Total number of impressions: 5,037

"Attendance" is the number of separate people there. It excludes University staff. For example one person attending for Saturday and Sunday would count as 1.

"Impressions" is the number of people-days.

-=-

Horsemen Events attribute the drop in the number of people attending to:
* A change of site
* A change of dates
* Not running for a year (2006)
* Other major events also running in the preceeding months (eg M-Fest, Game Expo and Game 07)

However the numbers were still good, with the numbers being boosted by:
* More marketing than ever before
* Good location (easily accessible, day trip from London/Birmingham)
* A lot of support from Sponsors & Traders/Exhibitor

Some senior team members will be holding a meeting to review all aspects of this years Gen Con UK, if you would like to give us your feedback prior to this meeting we would be most grateful (meeting is being held from the 14th to the 16th September).
We are reviewing and incorporating the feedback already received and posted on this forums and other forums.

We would like to thank everyone who attended and supported Gen Con UK 2007.

Yours truly,
Gen Con UK / Horsemen Events team

We are investigating the options for next Gen Con UK
Which could be on the 28-31 August 2008 at the University of Reading
(more information will be released soon)

Edited by - tradeGCUK on 11 Sep 2007 11:53:42

deadlander

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  12:34:13  Show Profile
hi there, had a blast this year.

Better advertising would be a good route, internet sites could display banners and maybe posters sent out to rpg shops etc. what about gw and black industries ? they were sponsors so might do cheap adverts.

cheaper room rates or buy five get one free for game clubs.

a lower price for walk ons, what you lose on the lower price you would make up for on the extra visitors and the traders would also be happier.

gen con party on sat-sun night?? you got the student union anyway.

bring back killer!!! a few quid to enter and play over the weekend, with a prize for the winner.

a few more traders, but no idea on how to do this one, maybe longer trade hall hours for more selling time.

the quiz was great, thanks chris and wizkids party was a laugh thanks annup and ruth. gamers like parties and beer.

Go to Top of Page

Paul Fricker

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  00:10:44  Show Profile
Price was also a factor in the drop in number of people attending. I note that you don't include this in your list. I'm not joining the arguement about price here, I'm just pointing out that I know it was a factor in detering a number of people I personally know from attending.

Conversely I'm not aware of 'More marketing' - again I know people who might have gone that didn't know it was on. I'd assumed they knew about it, only to discover they did not.
Do you have people who cover the various forums and websites for you - I know there are a lot of these.

To be honest I'm surprised how little I'm reading about Gencon on the forums - such as UKroleplay and indeed even this site. Maybe there are other places these people go?

I don't intend this post to be negative - I'm simply posting some observations.

-------
Regards - Paul Fricker
Kult of Keepers
Go to Top of Page

kinain

7 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  08:31:50  Show Profile
Would be interesting to see a comparison of the figures to previous years. Any chance?

I agree on the price issue - it was prohibitive to some people (especially those put off by previous cons - of whom we knew quite a few). And although I did enjoy myself this year, I'm still not 100% sure whether I will attend next year - or for the whole thing at least.

The progress made this time, and hopefully the more positive attitude of those who did attend, might persuade some people to give it a go again. But this does rely quite a lot on word of mouth.

Good luck - I'm sure it will pick up. We've certainly told people that we enjoyed ourselves and that it was a vast improvement.
Go to Top of Page

kotinka

-
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  08:40:57  Show Profile
I've already thrown some comments into the Feedback thread, but here's a couple of extra notes.

It didn't feel like there were 1500 people there on Saturday, which might be a function of how spread out the event rooms were. As I noted in my other post, the Con suffered from a lack of a central area for congregating, etc.

I know from some comments that pricing was an issue. I had an Early Bird Package which brought the cost of attendance and tickets to manageable levels. Perhaps you should consider a "Buy Four Days, Pay Only for Three" policy for next year (thay do this at Test Match Cricket nowadays), still including reduced price game session tickets with this package. This may encourage more attendance.

Also, I'd suggest reducing the price of Single Day Tickets bought in advance. Someone who thinks about going on the day but finds they need to shell out 20 'on the door' may think again, but if they can buy it for 15 (say) on't internet, it may encourage them to attend. People going for a single day often aren't there for the same time as those with multi-day tickets, and may feel that 20 doesn't offer VFM.

And you definately need better food options on site for those people who have 30 minutes between game slots. The burgers in The Blue Room were sub-standard and the fries inedible. Sandwiches lose their lustre after three days' chomping.

All the Best
Phil Fenerty
(posting as meomwt on other forums)
Go to Top of Page

daviesdesign

-
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:37:04  Show Profile
I agree. the food in the blue room was awful, burnt chickem, stale burgers, worse whan I realised it was not included in entrance. Breakfast which was included in halls on other hand was eccellent and altogether accomodation was good VFM.

The central attraction for me was the LARP tent and sword mastery/ archery/armoury area. Does anyone know where I coudl get photos of GENCON events, the LARP dungeon bash especailly.

Oh and more directions to where things were on-site wodul have made things easier. There were some opportunities for some people to get horribly lost... ahem :P
Go to Top of Page

daviesdesign

-
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:38:07  Show Profile
I agree. the food in the blue room was awful, burnt chickem, stale burgers, worse whan I realised it was not included in entrance. Breakfast which was included in halls on other hand was eccellent and altogether accomodation was good VFM.

The central attraction for me was the LARP tent and sword mastery/ archery/armoury area. Does anyone know where I coudl get photos of GENCON events, the LARP dungeon bash especailly.

Oh and more directions to where things were on-site wodul have made things easier. There were some opportunities for some people to get horribly lost... ahem :P
Go to Top of Page

daviesdesign

-
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:40:07  Show Profile

Oh and more directions to where things were on-site wodul have made things easier. There were some opportunities for some people to get horribly lost ahem :P
Go to Top of Page

daviesdesign

-
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  23:42:26  Show Profile

Oh and more directions to where things were on-site wodul have made things easier. There were some opportunities for some people to get horribly lost ahem :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

©Ratty 2006 Terms and Conditions Snitz Forums 2000